With all of the overwhelming information about orthopedics on the Internet, we thought we would provide you with a few interesting facts about orthopedics in the United States.
- The number one reason for seeing an orthopedic specialist in the United States is for knee pain. Knee pain is something that affects millions of people every day and can dramatically change your quality of life. The knee is comprised of several different muscles and ligaments making it a complicated joint.
- The average orthopedic physician in the United States is 55 years old. Did you know that 90 percent of orthopedic surgeons are men? Additionally, the average orthopedic surgeon performs 29 procedures each month. Only 15 percent of orthopedic physicians are under the age of 40. One-third of orthopedic physicians are over the age of 60.
- Wyoming, Montana, New Hampshire, South Dakota and Vermont have the highest density of orthopedic specialists. Where as Mississippi, Texas, Arkansas, Michigan and West Virginia have the lowest orthopedic specialists density. According to an American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons survey, Wyoming has the highest density of orthopedic specialists out of all the states.
- There are about 500,000 knee replacements and more than 175,000 hip replacements performed each year. Hip replacements are expected to increase 174 percent in the next 20 years.
- More than 3.5 million children get hurt annually playing sports or recreational activities. Overuse injury is responsible for half of all sport injuries to middle-and high-school students.
If you find that you still have questions or want more information about orthopedic surgeons, you can call us at 317.802.2000 or find a physician.
Schedule an appointment
Your well-being is important to us. Click the button below or call us to schedule an appointment with one of our orthopedic specialists. If your injury or condition is recent, you can walk right into one of our OrthoIndy Urgent Care locations for immediate care. For rehabilitation and physical therapy, no referral is needed to see one of our physical therapists.