Now that winter is quickly approaching, you may find that you are not as active outside. However, by following these quick tips you can make sure you stay proactive about your health and fitness. Former OrthoIndy nutritionist Jessica Regan shares her tips on how to burn fat.
- Do not focus on the “quick fix.” Think big picture and focus on long-term results. However, you can not expect that you will lose 20 pounds in one week by not eating. By setting unrealistic goals, you set yourself up for unrealistic outcomes and expectations. A great way to think of losing weight is by setting a goal and identifying the tasks you’ll do between now and your deadline. For example, if your goal is to lose five pounds by the end of the month, try eliminating carbonated drinks at first. This way you can build your way up the ladder of eliminating processed foods and drinks rather than quitting everything at once.
- Fruits and vegetables are your friends. One way to shed pounds the healthy and realistic way is to start your meal with fruits and vegetables. These are low in calories and high in nutrients including fiber, which helps you feel fuller longer.
- Wait 20 minutes after eating. To prevent yourself from overeating, wait 20 minutes after you finish your meal before deciding if you want seconds. It takes about 20 minutes for your stomach to signal to your brain that you have had enough to eat.
- Eat slower. Eating slowly and drinking water in between bites helps make you feel fuller longer and prevents overeating. If you ever have felt hungry after eating a large meal, it may be because you ate too fast.
- Eat smaller meals and scheduled snacks. Another tip to help burn fat is to eat three small meals per day and have healthy, scheduled snacks between your meals. This may seem like a lot of eating to some people; however, eating every three to four hours can help promote a healthy metabolism, maintain muscle mass and keep you from feeling hungry between meals. For example, snack on things that are high in protein and fiber-rich carbohydrates such as homemade trail mix, apple and peanut butter, or Greek yogurt and fresh fruit.
Lastly, make sure you reward yourself for your hard work at least once a week. If you have a sweet tooth, eat a piece of chocolate.
Schedule an appointment
Your well-being is important to us. Click the button below or call us to schedule an appointment with one of our orthopedic specialists. If your injury or condition is recent, you can walk right into one of our OrthoIndy Urgent Care locations for immediate care. For rehabilitation and physical therapy, no referral is needed to see one of our physical therapists.