There are different types of exercises that can boost your feel-good hormones and endorphins; this is especially true for cycling. Not only is cycling one of the best physical exercises, it can also help your mental well-being and improve your immune system. OrthoIndy non-operative spine physician, Dr. Meredith Langhorst discusses how cycling can improve your overall health.
- Cycling improves your mental well-being. Even if you are not in the best of moods when you get on your bike, it’s possible you may find yourself smiling later on. You may have a sense of accomplishment take over once your exercise is complete. That feel-good factor is very important regardless of what exercise you choose to do.
- Cycling promotes weight loss. Cycling is a great calorie burner because you are increasing your heart rate. However, the number of calories you burn depends on your weight and how long you cycle.
- Cycling builds muscular and cardiovascular endurance without taxing your joints. Certain high impact exercises can wear on your joints. Cycling is not too tough on your joints depending on if you add a lot of resistance or cycle up hills often.
- Cycling strengthens your immune system. This type of exercise has been shown to help reduce the risk of heart disease, some forms of cancer and diabetes.
- Cycling can grow your social network. There are many cycling facilities where you can meet like-minded people. Additionally, cycling with your family can make for an enjoyable time. Cycling as a family promotes for a positive and healthier lifestyle.
Schedule an appointment
Your well-being is important to us. Click the button below or call us to schedule an appointment with one of our orthopedic specialists. If your injury or condition is recent, you can walk right into one of our OrthoIndy Urgent Care locations for immediate care. For rehabilitation and physical therapy, no referral is referral to see one of our physical therapists.