Exercise such as walking is an important part of any weight loss program. Even if you are not trying to lose weight, but want to maintain weight, walking is essential. However, walking actually has many other benefits as well. OrthoIndy physical therapist, Casey Wallace explains the benefits of walking.
What are 5 benefits of walking?
You can reap the benefits of walking from doing several short walks or one long walk during the day. The great thing about walking is how you only need a pair of comfortable shoes and to get outside or on the treadmill to perform the exercise.
- Walking boosts your metabolism, improves digestion and burns fat.
- Walking promotes stronger legs, heart and lungs.
- Walking helps release body tension, improves mental clarity and promotes better sleep.
- Walking helps maintain strong bones and decreases the risk of joint pain due to immobility.
- Walking decreases muscular stiffness.
Can you lose weight by walking 30 minutes a day?
“It is possible for someone to lose weight by walking 30 minutes a day. Walking at a brisk pace helps the body to burn more calories,” said Casey. “By burning more calories it is possible to have improved weight control. Optimal weight control can be achieved by considering food consumption as well.”
How much should you walk a day and why?
It has been suggested that 10,000 steps a day, about five miles, will promote the greatest health benefits. However, it is important to determine your current level of fitness before trying to achieve this goal. If you are trying to lose weight, it would be recommended to increase your steps by 1,000 every two weeks to help you achieve your goal.
“If you don’t have a way to track you steps you can aim for achieving 150 minutes of walking in a week,” said Casey. “This can be divided into various increments, but if you aim for 30 minutes a day, you can benefit health-wise tremendously.”
Benefits of walking 30 minutes a day
- Decreased risk of chronic diseases such as high blood pressure, diabetes, depression and obesity.
- A decreased risk in heart disease and stroke.
- Improved mobility and mood.
- Improved balance and decreased risk of fall.
- Improved overall function of all body systems to promote optimal health.
Schedule an appointment
Your well-being is important to us. Click the button below or call us to schedule an appointment with one of our orthopedic specialists. If your injury or condition is recent, you can walk right into one of our OrthoIndy Urgent Care locations for immediate care. For rehabilitation and physical therapy, no referral is needed to see one of our physical therapists.